The operation hours at the immigration guard posts along the Merapok, Sarawak and Sindumin, Sabah border will be extended until midnight, effective Feb 1.
Sarawak Immigration Department director Datuk Mohd Zulfikar Ahmad said the present operating hours for both guard posts were until 10pm.
“Foreign visitors who enter through these two checkpoints will have to use their international passports or travel documents,” he said in a statement here today.
Zulfikar said in the case of Malaysians, the required travel documents are their passports or restricted travel papers or MyKad.
“Without exception, all foreign visitors and Malaysian citizens have to report for immigration checks, failing which they could face legal action,” he said.
“In 2015, more than 700,000 visitors passed through the Merapok and Sindumin guard posts,” he said.
He added that the extension of operation hours meant they were now streamlined with operation hours along the Sarawak and Brunei border, implemented on Sept 1, 2015.
He said the Immigration, Customs and Quarantine Complex at Sungei Tujuh(Miri), Tedungan (Limbang), Pandaruan (Limbang) and Mengkalap (Lawas) extended their operation hours until midnight on Sept 1, 2015.
“Last year, eight million visitors went through the four guard posts, including 3.4 million foreign visitors, the majority of whom were Brunei citizens,” he said.
He advised the public to plan their journey to avoid congestion at the guard posts, particularly during weekends, festive seasons and school holidays. – Bernama