Saturday, August 6, 2016
Esscom chief: Indon skipper’s abduction not like ‘usual’ kidnapping case
Malaysian authorities are investigating the case, but suspect there may be other motives for the abduction than the “usual” operation mounted by the Abu Sayyaf as only RM1,000 was demanded as ransom instead of the millions called for in past incidents, The Star reported today,
“This does not look like the usual kidnapping. A police investigation is on, I can’t say anything more at the moment,” Eastern Sabah Security Command director Datuk Wan Abdul Bari Wan Khalid told the newspaper.
He confirmed a report had been filed by the owner of the fishing trawler yesterday, two days after the abduction was said to happen.
According to the report, the abductors only took the skipper in their speedboat and left two crewmembers aboard the trawler alone. The duo subsequently made their way back to Sandakan and informed the owner.
The two crewmen and the trawler are being held for investigations.
Five Malaysians, crew of a tugboat, were kidnapped by the Abu Sayyaf last month in the waters of Dent Haven, Tambisan, off Sabah’s east coast town of Lahad Datu.
The wife to one of the missing crewmen told Malay language daily Berita Harian that the kidnappers have demanded RM17 million in ransom for the release of the five.
The missing Malaysian sailors are reported to be Tayudin Anjut, 45, Abdul Rahim Summas, 62; Fandy Bakran, 26; Mohamad Jumadil Rahim, 23, and Mohd Ridzuan Ismail, 32.
Previously, four Sarawakian sailors were taken hostage by the Abu Sayyaf from their vessel in the waters off Pulau Ligitan on April 1. They were released three months later.
Posted by wikisabah at 11:28:00 AM