Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Religious harmony, Sabah style

KOTA KINABALU - When Abel Madisang was ordained a Catholic priest on Sunday, his family members, friends and fellow parishioners at his church in Marakau Ranau rejoiced. One Japiril Suhaimin posted several pictures on Facebook. The pictures showed newly ordained Father Abel Madisang posing with his Muslim family members. Some were wearing the hijab (Muslim headscarf).

Japiril wrote in his Facebook: "Hanya di Sabah — Pentahbisan menjadi Paderi, Father Abel di gereja Roman Catholic Pekan Ranau hari ini 4 May 2015 turut dihadiri oleh Keluarga Muslim. Wanita berbaju putih bertudung bernama Annie Anne Gindalu , berkhawin dengan Amilin Baranting , saudara saya di Kundasang. Photo by Bro Benn."

(Only in Sabah. Ordination of Father Abel as a priest at a Catholic Church in Ranau today May 4, 2015, witnessed by his Muslim family members.

The lady in white and wearing a tudung is Anne Gindalu, who married my cousin Amilin Baranting from Kundasang. Photo courtesy of Bro Benn).

Japiril, a Muslim, said such a scenario was normal in Sabah where having different religious backgrounds never proved to be a problem.

"My wife was a Christian before she embraced Islam, and my parents' family members are also mostly Christians. But we all live in harmony.

"I would go to church to attend weddings and funerals, and some of my Christian family members also attended my son's akad nikah at the mosque recently.

"In my family, we go beyond religious symbols. It does not make us any less Muslim, seeing crosses everyday.

"In fact, I believe I am blessed to be living in a multicultural community. I feel very much rich, not with wealth, but with peace and harmony.

"It is sad that some of my brothers and sisters in Peninsular Malaysia are not privileged enough to enjoy such love for and from people who have belief systems different from their own.

"It has come to a point that they feel threatened just by the sight of a cross. Take it from me, you will not be converted by merely looking at a cross or being friends with Christians."

1 comment: