Wednesday, July 6, 2016
IS militant in Syria denies ordering Movida attack
PETALING JAYA - An Islamic State (IS) militant based in Syria has denied being the mastermind behind the bombing of the Movida club in Puchong last month.
Muhammad Wanndy Mohamed Jedi was quoted in Astro Awani as saying he did not issue instructions to the duo arrested in connection with the blast, said to be the first attack by IS in Malaysia.
“This is a serious accusation intended to make those arrested scapegoats. They (police) are cooking up stories as revenge towards me and manipulating facts of the arrests to divert the people’s attention from Malaysia’s current issues, which are getting worse.
“Those who were arrested are mere supporters, who expressed support for the Islamic caliphate, and they have never received instructions from me to launch attacks on leaders and judges, as claimed by (Inspector-General of Police) Khalid Abu Bakar in his press conference,” Muhammad Wanndy reportedly posted on Facebook yesterday.
However, the Malacca-born 26-year-old militant vowed to avenge those who have been “persecuted” by Malaysian authorities, by launching largescale attacks here.
The police have named Muhammad Wanndy as the man who gave orders to carry out the Puchong attack on June 28 where eight people watching the Euro football match at 2.15am at the Movida pub were injured.
The attack, police said, was the terrorist’s personal way of avenging his elder brother, Mohamed Danny, who was charged in a Malacca court last month for channelling funds to the militant group.
The news portal also quoted Bukit Aman Special Branch Director Mohamad Fuzi Harun as downplaying the threat of large scale attacks in Malaysia as IS militants here did not have the ability to do so.
However, Fuzi said police would not take any threats lightly and would constantly monitor the militants’ activities.
Posted by wikisabah at 3:16:00 PM