Search This Blog

Monday, April 29, 2013

GE13: Unable to vote because EC has no record


KOTA KINABALU - Two journalists are among several people who will be unable to exercise their voting right come May 5, even though they had registered for this privilege – the State Election Office is unable to trace their details.

A spokeswoman for the State Election Office could not find the particulars of the journalists, including Daily Express reporter Cynthia Baga, 28, in either of the Election Commission’s two systems.

“A search of our ‘ATTILAH’ and ‘ESPPST’ systems using the IC reveals she never applied as a voter,” she said. She explained that the former system was a “historical” database while the latter was used for “registration" purposes and advised Cynthia to submit a fresh application at any Registration Centre.

“Unfortunately, she will only be able to do this after the elections are over. She will be required to provide  our staff with her IC and to complete Form A. She should double check that her particulars are correctly recorded in the document before signing in.”

A copy of this form would be given to the applicant as proof of her registration.

The spokeswoman said static registration counters could be found at the Commission headquarters, as well as Election Offices and post offices around the country.

Mobile registration units,meanwhile, were set up by the Election Office and Assistant Registrars, run by both government department representatives and representatives of the various political parties.

Chynthia of Inanam said she chanced upon a mobile registration counter at a shopping centre in the city in 2008.

“I provided my details to the Election Office personnel manning the counter and was told that I would receive confirmation via short-messaging system (SMS) on my handphone to confirm that my information had been entered into the Commission’s system,” she said.

“Less that half an hour later, I received this SMS. The message mentioned my pooling station which was at SK Mutiara, in Kolombong.”

When Chynthia tried to check online if her pooling station had changed recently, she was dismayed to discover that there was no trace of her details.

“I related my experience to a friend who phoned the Election Office on my behalf.

“He was apparently told that my particulars might have been deleted from the Commission’s system as part of a move to purge inactive voters.”

Another reporter, Ersie Chell,29, of Sandakan said she registered in November 2012 at an EC mobile registration counter at a shopping complex.

“The EC personnel ask for MyKad, the personnel then filled up a form and told me confirmation of my registration would be sent via SMS.

“I could not recall whether I have received the confirmation SMS from EC as I was quite busy over my wedding at that time, so I assumed that my registration was not keyed-in yet by the EC.

Another voter who cast his vote four times, Jabri Bahri, 46, said upon knowing his details could not be traced in the EC’s system, he sought the online feedback from EC responded to him that he has to update his details at the EC office.

“The problem is I have no time to go to the EC office to check this matter as I have a lot of work to do… to handle my children and so on.

“Previously, my address was in Tanjung Aru but in 1992 me and my family moved to Papar. So in my opinion, if the voter had changed his or her name or changed the address, the EC and National Registration Department (NRD) should automatically update each other.

“This is the weakness from EC and NRD as they should coordinate with each other…if the EC makes a check for voter and they cannot find the voter, they should refer to NRD if that particular voter had changed their name or address,”he said.

A 61-year-old Sabahan man is also puzzled why his name was not recorded as a registered voter in Sabah and wants clarification from the Commission.

Musah @ Musa Taulani claimed that he checked his voting status via SMS and received a reply notifying him that his name was not recorded as a registered voter in the State.

“I personally went to the Election Commission office here some time in February to check my voting status,” said Musa, a former President of the Sabah Demokratik Rakyat Party in the 80s.

“I find it rather puzzling because I stood in the Gaya Parliamentary and Kudat State seat during the 80s. but why was I informed by the Election Commission that my name is not registered as a voter here,” he said.

He also claimed that he had asked them to check whether his name was on the electoral roll during nomination day, but received the same answer.

“I am not against anyone but I am very disappointed and I just want the Election Commission to be fair and clarify this matter,” he said.

He claimed that he went to the Election Commission and they traced his name as a registered voter in Johor Bahru.

“I do not understand how my name could be listed as a registered voter in the peninsula since I am a Sabahan, I am born here, I vote here and I have even stood here as a candidate before,” he said.

“I am no longer standing as a candidate for any party and now I am just an ordinary citizen, who wants to fulfil his obligation as a Malaysian to vote,” he added.

Meanwhile another voter was surprised to receive a call from the office of a political party on Friday telling her to cast her ballot at SK Sri Gaya.

“I am aware of the polling center where I am supposed to vote, which is in SMK Tun Fuad. Why am I asked to go to another polling center?” she queried.

No comments:

Post a Comment