Search This Blog

Monday, February 27, 2012

Tit for Tat...the Kitingan Brothers

By Datuk Jeffrey Kitingan

I called this Press Conference in response to what my brother, Tan Sri Pairin, was quoted as having said in Keningau yesterday and which appeared in the front page of the Daily Express today.

Firstly, I need to categorically state that what was said by my brother are all lies and half-truths.  Secondly, when he refer to “them” he shows his desperation to cling to power and his fear of losing power.

Thirdly, I have said it before and I say it again that this elections has nothing to do with family matters.

He is my elder brother and I have nothing against him and I love him as any brother would do but I love the people and this country more.

He may be my elder brother but contesting against him does not mean showing disrespect as I am not fighting him but contesting against him as a representative of the Barisan Nasional, my political opponent.  As we all know, the BN has done a lot of wrong and injustice to Sabah and its people.

I would like to advise my brother not to use family relationship as an excuse for political expediency to avoid a contest.

The people are suffering and the State has lost its integrity and independence and they want change but things will not change under the present UMNO/BN government.

Regrettably, my brother has become a traitor to the State and the people’s interests preferring instead to work and support UMNO, the colonizers, whom he knows very well as the party which had grabbed powers from previous governments undemocratically, promoted population manipulation via dubious MyKads given through the back-door to illegal immigrants and treated Sabah unfairly like a neo-colony of Malaya.

Let me tell you what really happened in 1994 when PBS won the elections by a razor-thin majority of 25 to 23.

At that time, the PBS elected representatives were gathered at Pairin’s official residence and Pairin was denied access to the Istana to be sworn in as the Chief Minister.   I was offered to be sworn in as CM by  the then Prime Minister Mahathir Mohamed but I refused and I urged Pairin to go and see the PM to negotiate a solution but he did not listen.

I was then contacted by Kuala Lumpur to receive a call from the PM and I brought a lawyer, Yunuf Maringking, to be a witness after obtaining permission to do so from Pairin.   Mr. Yunuf Maringking is still alive today to vouch for what happened.

Mahathir called and said “I am going to make an announcement on TV very soon but I need your answer to my offer to be sworn in as CM” to which I replied “Sorry, I cannot accept because I am not the leader of the party.  I do not want to become CM in this way.  As my brother has won the elections fairly, let him be sworn in and accept him as the CM.   Please open the gate for him to go in the Istana.”

To which Mahathir replied “OK, I understand but tell your brother to leave 1 or 2 Cabinet posts open to accommodate a solution.”

Unfortunately, when my brother, Pairin, was sworn in, he ignored this request and filled up all the Cabinet posts leading to the crisis of 1994.

Despite having been sworn in as CM with his Cabinet, the PBS government could not function and they remained as “locked in the official residence” for fear that some of their Assemblymen might cross-over.

Rather than sitting doing nothing, I again advised my brother to go the Kuala Lumpur and meet the PM and negotiate for a solution but he ignored my advice until the situation had become critical and untenable.

My brother finally agreed to send me and Bernard Dompok to meet the PM instead and to convey a list of his conditions.   When I presented this to Mahathir, the PM said “Its too late.  You can no longer put up any conditions to negotiate as 2 or 3 Assemblymen has already jumped.”

So Mahathir advised Pairin to resign as CM or be removed by a no-confidence motion in the State Assembly.

I then called Pairin to convey this advice to which Pairin responded “I am prepared to resign, if this will help resolve the situation”.

So when the press and media asked me at the said Hari Raya function, which my brother referred to in the press report, I simply repeated what Pairin had said.

Unfortunately, as you know the BN media and press loved to manipulate and sensationalize and broadcasted only a portion of the sentence which sounded more like an announcement that Pairin had resigned.

That is what happened in1994.   That is the truth.
The people must be told and know the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth.
It is unfair for people to accuse me of something which I did not do.

Who is actually lying?

Regarding his alleged leave, I have nothing to do with his leave and I know nothing of it and I have said nothing in my speeches to any person or to the press or media.   How can I say something which I am unaware of?

The truth is Pairin wants to re-contest and hold on to his Parliamentary seat and fear having to face his brother in the coming general elections.

Let the people be the judge whether they want Pairin to remain as MP, whether he has carried out his duties and work effectively and satisfactorily for the past few years.

He does not know where I am contesting but he assumes I will be contesting  there against him.  He is also assuming that he will be re-contesting in Keningau and that he is a “winnable candidate” as propounded by the current PM.

If you have carried out your duties and done your work effectively and championed the cause of Sabah and its people, you should be confident of being re-elected by the people.

There is no need to find excuses and promote lies to the people to discredit me, just to defend his position, unless he has failed his people and is not confident of being re-elected by his own people.

Datuk Dr. Jeffrey Kitingan is Chairman, STAR Sabah

41 comments:

  1. Okey, now i know who's behind this blog.
    Knock knock,
    is that you DDJK?
    Hi, im Just.
    Full name, Just Kidding.

    ReplyDelete
  2. First hear untold story of 1994...Mahathir's play?
    That's was not fair to Sabah and anyone or inquiry about it?

    Elder one didn't show good example but committed sins!

    ReplyDelete
  3. GOOD ON YOU JEFFREY! WE MUST UNITE AGAINST UMNO COLONIZERS OF SABAH!

    "the BN has done a lot of wrong and injustice to Sabah and its people"

    "Regrettably, my brother has become a traitor to the State and the people’s interests preferring instead to work and support UMNO, the colonizers"

    Most of us agree with the above statements. We all need to unite on common grounds to fight UMNO colonization.

    If the opposition can unite and gain power we will be in a better position to free Sabah from Malayan colonial domination and take Sabah out of Malaysia.

    A couple of new slogan has appear on the net.

    Malaya needs our resources and votes more then Sabah/Sarawak need Malaya!

    No Sabah No Sarawak No Malaysia!

    Let us unite and make it come true!

    Jeffrey we will rally to support you as ;long as you remain true to the path of freeing Sabah from UMNO colonial bondage!

    ReplyDelete
  4. JK,the discontented brother of Pairin trying to tell the whole world how immaculate he is.Blood is no longer thicker than water and the quest for power means blood relations can be sacrificed without blinking an eyelid in order to chase the final day of glory.

    I love story-telling as sometimes I could use it for bedtime story too for my little kids.But then I do not want to feel guilty if I know such story is made-up and full of lies because my kids would notice through the quivering and uneasiness in my voice that I was not telling them the right story.They know when the narrative is fabricated and my yawning is the 'final straw that breaks the camel's back.'But Alas!Its still the best story I could tell to show them how good a father I was and still is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here is the deal, Pairin & the other paper tigers support the hegemonic UMNO to steal and rob, in the form of PATI, dishonouring the 20 points agreement, NOT treating Sabah as equal partner from the rakyaat and JK, fighting for Sabah's rights, who would you support?

      Delete
    2. The sad thing is that you hot air men are fighting shadows while we should unite with all Sabahans to resist Malayan colonization of our country Sabah!

      Delete
    3. Ofcourse JK is the genuine Sabahans will support but the Celups KDMS will support The Guntalou Brother. I mean Pairin Talou!

      Salute JK for his Sacrifice! He can be a real lucky if he choose to be ignorance to his roots needs!
      Bravo JK!

      Delete
  5. Before he die he would like to see Sabah have back the power and atonomy thats i listen twice from the person mouth ones in Pitas ones in Karanan.So who is the people fighter for Sabahan you all judge ?

    ReplyDelete
  6. "rambut sama hitam tapi memang dalam hati lain-lain aja....... "

    ReplyDelete
  7. When one cling to power for too long (since 1975)not only the mass get fed up but his own blood. Look at Suharto, Marcos,Mubarak, Ghadaffi etcs. Mama Kutty says dont love you post too much.............................

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pairin had been too long being support and being loved by its people buthe instead betray the trust that his people gave to him.

      He turn out to be a GUNTALOU leader ang very greedy that even to his own brother he dare to let him struggle alone for the KDMs needs which is being grabbed by the Malaya based party.

      If he is really championing to the peoples rights, He shoul be brave to resingn and pave ways for his brother.

      Is this because JKs mother is not Pairin talous mother?
      Or did PT thinks he is the only one KDMs leader yg terpandai dan tertidak Guntalou?

      Ish3! Tamaha. Macam taik!

      Delete
  8. as a kdm i don't care about "brotherhood differences in politic" but, instead demoracy even family got diffrent believe, like 9 sibling all got interest in politic...as long do not become like "MISANGOD" when our ancestor "HEAD HUNTING" time...the real kdm actually a head hunter...but not in this morden world...PEACE, biar balain parti tapi tatap aramai tih.........

    ReplyDelete
  9. Let both these brothers and all Sabahan put to prayer:-

    "If God Willing not now this time then when?"

    Would not it be good to speak with silent heart and wake up with WISDOM in unity to lead us towards a better NEW PATH!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The reactions would differ for everyone with different political ideology. As far as I'm concerned, DDJK is pouring his heart out on this. Everyone's patience has a limit. Probably his just ran out. To all those naysayers, I say if you don't even have any sympathy towards him as a human being, then YOU HAD BETTER NOT BE IN SABAH POLITICS CRYING FOR JUSTICE FOR THE PEOPLE!! Wolves in sheeps clothing?? Will never go far...

    Differences in politics in families are common. Hence, this is just a petty issue of '2 brothers fighting it out by calling each other names' kinda thingy. At the end of the day, it's like WWE...they shake hands and apologise coz in actual fact they've known each other all their lives and of course the 'cliche'...blood is definitely thicker than water.

    DDJK is showing nobility because he knows the phrase 'leadership by example' and presumably stand by it. How would others depict KDMs if all behave like TSPJK?? Does the phrase 'smearing his own good image' rings true?? Whatever TSPJK intends the outcome of his outburst?? IT OBVIOUSLY BACKFIRED! I HEREBY REST MY CASE! =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its true family squabbles are common but not when it comes to fighting it out in the mass and electronic media.It is uncommon.I too rest my case.

      Delete
    2. Can't blame our Miss Lawyer honey trying to defend her boss.

      Delete
  11. jeffrey dan Pairin, adik beradik yang tidak sefahaman dan mempunyai agenda yang berlainan dalam politik.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Both seem to be untrustworthy.

      Delete
    2. pandailah kita menilai antara mereka berdua mana yang lebih baik.

      Delete
    3. JK pasti mahu kalah dengan Pairin.

      Delete
    4. Masing2 ada pendirian sendiri. Rakyat yang akan menilai mereka berdua.

      Delete
    5. JK tidak boleh di percayai.

      Delete
  12. What has done cannot be undone.

    ReplyDelete
  13. TSP should just retire and leave the fight for Sabah's rights to DrJ.
    Just remain a huguan but must voice and do the right things to defend his people. If not, he will be treated with contempt and be spit upon and all the good he has done in the past will be erased.
    INI KALI LAH - STAR.
    LAIN KALI LAH - Umno/BN, sorry lah kena tunggu giliran, entah bila?

    ReplyDelete
  14. "Let the people be the judge whether they want Pairin to remain as MP, whether he has carried out his duties and work effectively and satisfactorily for the past few years."


    The people will be the judge of that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know some of the people still regard Pairin as their Huguan Siou, many of them still put their trust and hopes on him.

      Delete
  15. Well said JK, but i won't let myself fall to believe what had you said.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Time for this 2 siblings, retire from political scene.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Biar fahaman politik lain2, tapi tidak putus saudara.

      Delete
    2. Blood is thicker than water, don't let the political issues ruin the two brothers.

      Delete
  17. ba bertanding la kamu dua.. saya mahu tengok siapa yang manang..

    ReplyDelete
  18. The
    root
    of-EVIL
    was
    MahathirBinMuhamad
    who
    masterminded
    the-Problem!!!FUCK-Mahathir

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dr Mahathir has already retired, what he did in the past cannot be changed.

      Delete
  19. Nampaknya JK benar-benar tidak akan mengalah dengan Abang sendiri Joseph. Kita tengok saja sampai mana nanti keboleh JK untuk merebut Keningau dari Joseph.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Terpulanglah kepada kemampuan Jeffrey untuk menawan Keningau daripada Pairin. Jika rakyat Keningau tetap merasai Pairin adalah Huguan Siou mereka, mungkin tidak senang Keningau dirampas.

      Delete
  20. Separate personal matters with political matters, its best to be professional when it comes to problems like this.

    ReplyDelete