Search This Blog

Thursday, January 15, 2015

Zahid denies defending alleged 'kingpin'

Almost two weeks after the issue erupted, Home Minister Ahmad Zahid Hamidi finally broke his silence on his letter to the Federal Bureau of Investigations (FBI).

Apart from defending himself, he trained his guns on what he described as "pro-opposition online portals".

The minister stressed that his letter was not meant to defend alleged Malaysian gambling kingpin Paul Phua, who is facing trial in the United States.

He said the purpose of the controversial Dec 18, 2014 letter was to clarify the status of Paul Phua and the existence of the 14K triad in Malaysia.

"Hence, using my discretion, I issued the explanation letter on Paul Phua's status to the FBI, and it was not a support letter for not charging Paul Phua, as reported by pro-opposition news portals," Zahid told a press conference today.

According to him, there is no 14K triad in Malaysia and Phua is not a member of 14K triad in Malaysia.

'Government is not supporting Paul Phua'

Nevertheless, the minister stressed that he would not compromise on any unhealthy phenomenon in the country and the government would not support whoever had close ties with any crime organisation.

“I have repeatedly said that I will fight against gangsterism, gambling and drugs in our country. I once again stress that I will not compromise with unhealthy phenomenon and this episode has strengthened my spirit to continue to fight and eradicate crime activities.

“The government has not once supported any action by any individual, including Paul Phua, who has close ties with any crime organisation,” Zahid said.

Previously, Phua's lawyer Muhammad Shafee Abdullah said that the home minister penned the letter to correct a "very big mistake" by the Malaysian police regarding his client.

On the letter stating the poker player also helped Malaysia in national security matters, the Umno-linked lawyer said Zahid may have disclosed the additional information in "defence" of a Malaysian citizen, after coming across it while reviewing Phua's file.

2 comments:

  1. Good Day !!

    I am Hwa Jurong, a Reputable, Legitimate & an accredited money
    Lender. I want to use this medium to inform you that i render reliable beneficiary
    assistance as I'll be glad to offer you a loan at 2% interest rate to
    reliable individuals.

    Services Rendered include:

    *Home Improvement
    *Inventor Loans
    *Car Loans
    *Debt Consolidation Loan
    *Line of Credit
    *Second Loan
    *Business Loans
    *Personal Loans
    *International Loans.

    Please write back if interested.
    Upon Response, you'll be mailed a Loan application form to fill. (No social
    security and no credit check, 100% Guaranteed!) I Look forward permitting me to
    be of service to you. You can contact me via e-mail: hwa_jurong@yahoo.com.sg or hwajurong12@gmail.com
    Yours Sincerely,

    Hwa Jurong(MD).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Everyone, My name is Courtney Bieneman, a citizen of USA; am 42 years of age.. I want to use this medium to inform you all about the goodness of the lord for finally leading me to a really and genuine loan lender named Mr Mason Diego, the managing director of Diego Loan Company after been scammed by other fake lenders, i was hopeless and didn't know who to trust while he came and put a great smile on my face at my greatest surprise. Anyone of you that have also been a victim of scam, you should bother no more cos, i have bring you good news and the only lender you can trust, just contact them now via email: { diegoloancompany@yahoo.com } for more info on how to get your loan. And once again thanks be to Mr Mason Diego for giving me a loan of 154,000.00 USD...

    ReplyDelete