Search This Blog

Sunday, May 3, 2015

Cop hailed as hero for saving man from burning car

PETALING JAYA - Like a ray of sunshine amidst a gloomy day of rain, the story of a policeman rescuing a man from a burning car has warmed the hearts of Malaysians.

Lans Korporal Al Aliff Alzam, 28, was on his patrol at 5.30am on Friday when he saw smoke billowing from a Perodua Alza on the opposite side of the road near Medan Damansara.

A man, identified now as 39-year-old Chen Chee Hau, was trapped in his seat, unconscious.

“When I got to him, the front part of the car was already burning. I was feeling panicky that the car would explode any moment but it was my duty to save him,” he said in an interview yesterday.

He rescued Chen by breaking the window on the driver’s side with a torchlight.

Then he unlocked the door and pulled Chen out with the help of his patrol partner.

Seconds later, the car exploded into flames.

“Initially, my partner was worried. I feared for my safety, too, but I felt I could save him in time,” he recounted.

L/Kpl Aliff’s deed was shared on Facebook by Community Policing Malaysia director Kuan Chee Heng, who described him as the hero of the day.

By 7pm yesterday, the Facebook posting had been “liked” almost 14,000 times.

L/Kpl Aliff, who had minor injuries on both of his arms from trying to unlock the door, said an ambulance and fire engine arrived 10 minutes later.

Chen was said to have regained consciousness later and did not suffer any injuries.

His Perodua Alza was completely burnt.

L/Kpl Aliff, who has been a policeman for four years, said he had initially kept the news from his wife as she was expecting their first child.

“I did not want to worry her. But she found out after my aunt shared a Facebook posting of the incident. She called me and was crying on the phone, asking me why I didn’t tell her.”

Following the posting, he said he received many messages from strangers and friends, some of whom he had not seen in ages.

“They congratulated me. My superiors in PDRM contacted me to say I have done a good job. I am touched by the appreciation shown, but it is just a small effort on my part. It is my job after all,” he said.

By Akil Yunus

No comments:

Post a Comment