Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Pandikar admits handing quit letter, but stopped by Najib

KUALA LUMPUR - Tan Sri Pandikar Amin Mulia admitted today that he had wanted to resign as Dewan Rakyat Speaker but was blocked from doing so by Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Razak.

Speaking at a press conference in his house, Pandikar revealed that he had communicated his intention to Najib, but the prime minister refused to accept or even look at his resignation letter and pledged instead to attend to his grouses.

“I told the PM that I wanted to resign because I was not happy with the way things are being run in Parliament.

“However, PM did not want to accept or even look at my resignation letter but instead wanted to resolve things,” he told reporters.

Pandikar said Najib wanted to clarify what he was unhappy over and had promised to help set things straight.

"He asked me what my reason that I wanted to quit, I told him that I was not happy with the way things are being run. He immediately called up the Chief Secretary to the Government Tan Sri Ali Hamsa to appoint an officer to assist me in running things," he said.

Pandikar added that Najib had in April raised the issue in a Cabinet meeting, which collectively agreed to improve Parliamentary affairs.

Former Prime Minister Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad told reporters yesterday that Pandikar had “shamed” him when he denied his intention to quit his post although the latter had purportedly communicated this to him when they met last week.

Pandikar, however, shot back by saying that Dr Mahathir had "shamed himself" by revealing the contents of their meeting to the public when it was supposed to be a secret.

He also claimed that it was Dr Mahathir who asked him to step down to increase pressure on Najib.

"Maybe in his anxiety of wanting Najib to quit, he also asked me to step down as a speaker during our meeting instead of asking us to meet and resolve matters," Pandikar said.

The two-term Dewan Rakyat Speaker said that he did not need anyone to announce his resignation, as he would willingly do it on his own if he is not happy with the changes made in Parliament’s administration.

"I have held this position since 2008, if there is no change, I will resign by myself. No need for anyone to announce it for me," Pandikar said.

On Monday, Pandikar said Dr Mahathir may have mistakenly believed that the former had resigned as Dewan Rakyat Speaker after having confided in the former prime minister his disappointment on how Parliament is run.

Utusan Online quoted Pandikar as saying at a press conference in Kota Belud, Sabah, that it was not unusual for him to meet the elder politician, calling Dr Mahathir a mentor and teacher to all political leaders in the country.

Previously, Bernama had reported Pandikar on Saturday denying Dr Mahathir’s claims he had quit the post.

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete