Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 7, 2015

Dr M: I never stopped Ku Li from challenging me

Former premier Dr Mahathir Mohamad today decried what he claimed to be an attempt within Umno to stop him from speaking out against PM Najib Abdul Razak.

He said when he was Umno president, he never stopped Tengku Razaleigh Hamzah and Musa Hitam from campaigning against him during the Umno leadership crisis in the 1980s.

“They (Tengku Razaleigh and Musa) wanted to go against me and Ghaffar (Baba) to ensure I will not be Umno president and therefore, not prime minister. They wanted to topple me.

“I did not stop them from campaigning among Umno members and Umno members did not bar me from attending the campaigns,” he said on his blog.

He said this is unlike today when Umno members were allegedly unable to hear him speak in Tawau on Oct 5 “because it was not organised by Umno”.

“They said Umno secretary-general will be angry if members or leaders attended the event,” he said in a blog post today.

He claimed members were given threatening directives - "that action will be taken, investigated and sacked from the party" - even though there is no official challenge for the Umno presidency.

"The party's future is becoming bleaker. There will be no more leaders and no more nominations," he said.

No comments:

Post a Comment