Search This Blog
Sunday, July 23, 2017
Two Sabah state government agencies to come under MACC probe
“Our investigations involve two major state government agencies and high-ranking officers. That is all I can say for now,” he said at the Sabah MACC Raya open house here yesterday.
Sazali said MACC had been monitoring and probing the agencies and their personnel.
Last year, MACC made the largest seizure in the country when they recovered more than RM50 million in cash from senior officials of the Sabah Water Department. Three people have been charged in court.
Sazali said MACC investigators were also looking at the tourism sector following last week’s protest by local tour guides, who claimed that foreigners were doubling as local guides.
About 40 people from the Sabah Tourist Guides Association and Sabah Native Guides Association held a protest at the Kota Kinabalu International Airport shortly after a charter flight arrived from China.
The 40 guides have been issued show-cause letters.
Sazali said the investigations were part of efforts to eradicate any wrongdoing in the tourism sector, a major revenue earner for Sabah.
As of July this year, the MACC has investigated 56 cases in Sabah, most of them dealing with false claims for projects that were purportedly never carried out. - Reported in Star online
Posted by wikisabah at 12:03:00 PM